Thursday, December 11, 2008

Not feeling it

I have wanted to write for several days but what to write. That has been the question on my mind. Maybe I could write about the turkey breast dinner I made last night..... yep okay that's a start.

Let the story begin. We went to walmart on Sunday. We saw that they were selling turkeys and we had already decided that we would start eating more turkeys since they are good for more than just one day a year. We found a turkey breast that was still attached to the bone and thought hmm maybe we could rotisserie it like we do whole chickens. It was thawed by yesterday and so I plied it with oil and a bbq spice mix. I got it set up in the machine and then took it back out again and turned it upside down and restarted it.
We had mango slices from costco that were going to go bad soon. They were definitely not our manilla mangos that we love so I figured the only hope for us eating them was to make some sort of dessert out of them. I made a mango peach crisp, much easier than cobbler. I got that going and made the rice. Right before everything was done and ready I sauteed some sugar snap peas and garlic and voila, our meal was done.
Unfortunately, Max fell asleep at some point upstairs. Maggie let me know and I finally after some time (heck I hate waking him up) I went to wake him up. I tried to be as gentle as possible. In the end, I tickled him slightly but then Maggie got in his face. He started kicking and crying. He is really not a happy waker upper from naps. I try to avoid letting him fall asleep in the afternoons when he gets home from school for fear that he will have a hard time falling asleep and sleeping late enough. I got him up, but I don't think he wanted to forgive me.
Later when he came downstairs, he wanted to watch more tv. It wasn't going to happen but I did get him settled with his photo album. Dinner time comes, he decides that he wants to play at being 'soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tiredddddddddddddddddddddddddd'. That means, he can't be responsible for himself or anything that he should be doing, like sitting at the table and eating. I uninvited him to the table. We sat down to eat, after a bit Krismon went over to talk to him. He came to the table and complained about eating. I had to walk away. I spent 2 hours on this meal off and on. Once Krismon got him to eat a piece of turkey or two, Max settled in to eat all his food and then some. He apologized for his behavior and thanked me for cooking. We all enjoyed the crisp with some whipped cream even Maggie our picky dessert eater.
No real moral to this story but it is rough to spend so much time trying to create a meal that everyone enjoys and then have it denigrated before it is even tried. I was having a hard time remembering my mantra last night, obviously.
Wondering what it is.... "Get over yourself" Max's problem wasn't with the meal or me, he would have found fault with just about anything because he was tired. I just couldn't get over myself to realize it then. Ah well. I guess there kind of is a bit of moral there.

No comments:

Post a Comment