Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Promotion Days

Maggie and another girl opening the ceremony with a prayer.

Yes that is a dress on me


Max dressed for his promotion day performance.

Max with his diploma and certificates for Best Mathematician and Overall Achievement. And yes I wore another dress with a necklace that he picked out at Kohls for me to buy for myself.

Okay so I could keep this wordless out side of the captions but I won't.  So for the life of me, I can't remember ever ever having these sort of days at my schools growing up. I don't remember parents coming for these type of performances. Don't get me wrong, I think the performances that the kids did were great.  Both performances included the star spangled banner. And the little kids sang songs that I didn't know and they had an awesome performance done by one little girl who is half japanese. She was dressed traditionally and everything. I would show the picture but don't feel really confident about doing that. 
The lower and upper elementary did an around the world type of performance. The did all the continents and about 4 kids at a time talked about different things.  If you haven't already guessed, Max talked about China and counted to ten in Mandarin (his grandma taught him.) Then they sang 'We are the World'. And Max sang it with feeling and emotion. It was a great performance and fun to listen to and learn from. But still not sure about the promotion day certificates. It seems like it is expected now that kids need these things to determine their self worth. That and the goody bags kill me. I still shake my head at those.
Off my rant, regardless I am proud of both kids because they made huge strides this year. Maggie came home everyday telling me that she had different friends depending on who she played with. She was constructing 4 letter words by the end and learning how to write lowercase letters. She is stubborn so we are still faced with the dilemma of not knowing how much she can do or knows until she busts out with something. I am pretty sure she is good at addition.  Max had a fantastic year. He learned so much this year and I think it really wetted his appetite to learn even more. I will miss his teacher who is returning to CA after being here for two years. She was great. She didn't put up with nonsense and she really knew how to direct him and bring him down a notch or two when needed. Hopefully next year will go just as well. 


1 comment:

  1. Proud of both of them! Those are beautiful pictures too, sis!

    ReplyDelete