Thursday, January 14, 2010

draconian: Dictionary.com Word of the Day

draconian \dray-KOHN-ee-uhn; druh-\, adjective:

1. Pertaining to Draco, a lawgiver of Athens, 621 B.C.
2. Excessively harsh; severe.

So this was my word of the day. It gave me a pause. I guess that is a good thing. It never hurts to check and double check your own actions and behavior. Does this definition fit me? Sometimes. Do I need to figure out a better way? Yes.

Max has had a rough time since starting back to school after the holidays. I need to come up with some motivating ideas. I don't want his afternoons to only be filled with homework. We enjoy the wii and I want to get him to see if he can get some work done, then we can play after that before I need to make dinner. I think I am afraid that if I let him play right after school then he won't settle down to work. I am just trying to figure out what would work best. Between 3 and 6, I would like to let him play for almost an hour and a half and get an hour of school work or less and a half hour of violin practiced. Or maybe we are back to me expecting too much.

I think I need to take a page from Supernanny and make an afternoon schedule for him so that he can see it and know what to expect. Then maybe I won't feel like I am so harsh and severe and I can relax and hopefully help him when he needs it.


No comments:

Post a Comment