Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Maxwell silver hammer and Maggie story teller extroidinaire

Miss Shehara, I am smart.
Is it smart for you to come up and tell me that?

Miss Shehara, your handwriting is so much better than mine, could you write this for me please?

Miss Tejani, I know how to read, just ask my mom. You go help xyz because he doesn't know how to.

Yes this is my son. The first two things were said to his teacher this year already. The last when he was still in preschool. Too many people have told Max that he is smart and he now believes the hype. I like his teacher because she is pretty tough on him. She lets him know that just because he has a brain doesn't mean it won't rot if he doesn't use it.

I know this will be a slight tangent but I have noticed that people say Max is smart and Maggie is pretty. I really don't like it. It's not like they say them in the same breath but I worry that somehow she is going to think that pretty is more important than brainy. She is so smart and so creative. She tells the best stories, they drive Max crazy which makes them even better. lol. I try and make sure that she understands how smart she is. Heck, the girl loves to keep us in the dark about how much she truly knows. Just like her stories mess with Max, she likes to mess with us.

I look forward to seeing how she does at school and seeing if she will let her teachers in on the secret so we can find out.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes, I know what you mean. I sometimes get frustrated in the opposite way, too, like when people say how great Claudia is, I feel like I need to validate HEnry, too. But, we can't steer people on how to compliment our kids, all we can do is give our kids the tools and confidence they need to be good people, which I know you do. :) Love the comment about XYZ not knowing how. That made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete