Tuesday, March 16, 2010

School

Last Wednesday,  I went to the parent/teacher conference at school for Maggie. I am not sure why but I don't feel in tune with her learning. Some of this is, of course, my own fault among other reasons but it does produce a tad bit of guilt.

Max is an open book. He started signing quickly when he was 14 months old. He wanted us to understand what he knew and was eager to communicate. He has always been excited by knowledge and is our little performer. This is good and bad. I want him to be satisfied with his own performance and not always expect praise for his accomplishments. But besides that, it has made life very easy because we knew him like an open book.

Maggie... She is a whole other creature. She is smart but we don't really know how smart. And the things that motivate Max don't seem to motivate her in the same way. Yes she likes praise but that is not her driving force. I wonder if she has really connected with her teachers or if they get her. It is a pretty big class. She doesn't want to work independently but with her teacher. Though I wonder if that is really true since she is capable of playing very independently at home. Is she working the teacher like she has worked us? She loves to act and is good at the drama queen bit. Anyway, I just don't feel like I have a good handle on her academically or how to help her succeed further. And at school, she really wants to have the kindergarten teacher as her teacher. Ms. Jazmine has made a huge impression on her.  I wish that I could switch her just because it seems like she would be more motivated. Or I am just reading too much into this and need to back off and relax.  I mean for goodness sakes, she is only 3. I guess I am just having a mom moment. I just need to let her keep her kidhood  and not feel the pressure of academics.

No comments:

Post a Comment